Monday 15 July 2013

My Trip To "P Market"


I met a Liberian boy named Peter the first day that we arrived at ABCU.  He brought my parents a bag of limes.  When my Dad offered him money he refused by saying, “I don’t want your money.  I just want to be friends with your children.”  From then on, me and Peter played basketball every day that my family was in Yekepa.  We also took him to church the day before we left for ENI.
The last day that we were in Yekepa my Mom handed me and Peter a last minute grocery list: eggs, oil, bread, and Dettol.  I was surprised that my parents were so cool with me riding on the back of a motorcycle (called a “ping-ping”) into a very crowded market.  I’ve never even done that in Malawi.  As we sped by people, they would scream at me, “White man!  White man!”  When we got there we had to search for eggs.  They were not easy to find.  Peter eventually found them in a little hole-in-the-wall store that smelled like feet.  It was funny to watch Peter juggle the eggs on the back of a motorcycle. 
All the boys I played basketball with every day were violent and aggressive, but Peter was always kind.  He was always willing to help my family with anything they needed.  I enjoyed getting know a Liberian kid so close to my age.  We had a great time at ABC together. 

- Levi

No comments:

Post a Comment