Thursday 27 June 2013

Day 2 Wednesday June 19, 2013

We woke up late (around 8:00 a.m. or so) and had breakfast.  The children were hungry for civilisation so we headed for "Village Mall" to go bowling and to see the movie "Star Trek".  Bowling was a huge hit - Vanndel won with Paul in second place. During the movie Star Trek Vanndel leaned over and asked me "Is that an elf?" - pointing to Mr. Spock.  I was horrified.  How could my son not know "Star Trek".  I grew up watching reruns with my mother.  I was reminded that my children really are "third culture kids".  These are missionary kids that grow up overseas and embrace the culture of the country they grow up in but yet they are still from America.

 During the movie

All the girls (myself, Ashley, Annabelle and Becky) made dinner.  It was fun and lots of good conversation in the kitchen.  We were reminded of the African proverb - "Many hands make light work" and "One head cant carry a roof".  We watched Ashley's wedding DVD after dinner and all commented on how special it was to have a wedding in Africa.  Becky's youngest Janell also just had a wedding in Kenya.

Laura

Levi, Bess and Vanndel:
 Maasai Sculpture at Village Mall



No comments:

Post a Comment