Friday 5 July 2013

Do-It-To-It-Gang

 (Paul) Shortly after we got off the plane a week ago at Roberts International Airport in Monrovia a large Immigration officer followed our family outside the airport, "Do you remember me?" he asked.  He was slightly familiar, but I was drawing a complete blank. "I used to play for the DO-IT-TO-IT-GANG!  I'm Edmond Dillon! (now Major Edmond Dillon).  We used to play against your team, the Wildcats!"

Yes, now it all was coming back. Our Wildcat team was one of 4-5 fairly strong teams in Yekepa, and big Edmond Dillon was a serious baller. He gave me a big hug. Liberians are genuinely some of the most likable people in the world, and basketball made a lot of friends, and opened up a lot of doors and homes for my twin brother Palmer and me when we were growing up in Yekepa. Levi is doing the same thing now. He's going down to  ABC's THE GROVE GYM every afternoon to play with boys from the community just like my brother and I used to do.
Levi and some community boys that came to play b-ball every day at 4:30p.m. in THE GROVE GYM. The gym was built by Levi's uncle's church -- Paul's twin brother Palmer -- The Grove Church in Chandler, AZ.
The gym is amazing! The community kids are loving it.
Levi, Vanndel and Peter play b- ball every morning after breakfast with whatever kids show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment